Ato Dinku Deyasa, a renowned investor in Oromia and owner of NFYD PLC,and Ato Reta Bekele (once a president at Jimma and Adama legal courts), Dr. Haileleul Zeleke and Ato Frezewd Lemma from Adama University and Ato Mulugeta Debebe (a management professional) envisaged the necessity of founding a private higher education institution mainly aimed at curbing the country's dearth of qualified human resources. A labor market survey was carried out to identify the fields of study most wanted by the community in and around Adama and Assela towns. On the basis of the findings, the founders made all the necessary preparations that would enable them to begin offering courses at diploma level in five fields of study namely: Accounting, Computer Science, Law, Marketing Management, and Secretarial Science and Office Management.
Rift Valley University College
Rift Valley College, as the institution was formerly known, became operational in October 2000 in Adama Town with a total number of 154 evening program students and five part time faculty staff. Many of the teachers were the founders of the College. This new "learning community" was housed in just one rented block that consisted of a single administrative office and a few classrooms. The Assela campus was created two months later with Accounting, Law and Marketing Management being the fields of study. By the end of the year 2000, the total enrolment at the two campuses was about 250 students in the five diploma programs of study.
Rift Valley University College Mission
The mission of The Rift Valley University College is to enhance and advance the quality of human life through systematically chosen programs of instruction, research and public service. It is fully committed to extend and expand a range of training by continually updating the existing provision. Therefore, RVUC is fully committed to the following objectives.
1. Bridge the gap between the need for higher education and the actual performance.
2. Provide tertiary education to government and private sector employees to upgrade their knowledge and professional
skills for career development with out leaving their activities.
3. Carry out educational research and social development works.
4. Publish and distribute books, journal and proceedings.
5. Provide consultancy services
6. Develop the local culture and the language.
7. Conduct short term professional skills training.
8. Conduct seminars, workshops and symposiums
9. Produce and distribute teaching materials.